Posted on November 01 2018
Are you trying to find the best brace for foot drop? Do you suffer from paralysis of the anterior leg muscle group, due to the effects of a either a stroke, hernia, spinal cord injury, Multiple Sclerosis or Muscular Dystrophy?
If you suffer from foot drop (or drop foot) and want to live a more active and healthy life style, we have one of the best, top rated drop foot braces in New Zealand.
The Push Ortho Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) is an especially designed brace to provide support for people that have the inability to lift their drop foot up or controlling the foot while walking, due to paralysis of the anterior leg muscle group.
Here are the top 6 product functions & features of the foot drop brace:
- The Push Ortho Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) brace lifts the foot during the swing phase, controls the plantar flexion after heel strike and then allows unimpeded rolling of the foot.
- In addition, the orthosis offers lateral stability to the ankle joint.
- The elastic straps of this drop foot brace are adjustable. This allows the degree of dynamic foot lift during the swing phase to be determined according to the individual needs of the user.
- On heel strike, the restraining function of the elastic straps ensures a well-controlled plantar flexion.
- During stance phase, the foot drop brace allows flexion and extension in the ankle joint and allows the (remaining) function of the calf muscles to be addressed during the rolling of the foot. The result is an efficient and natural gait.
- Where normally the shoe allows for fixation of the orthosis around the foot, the drop foot brace has its own fixing strap system. This innovative construction allows the Push AFO to be used with light footwear such as indoors in slippers.
How does the sizing work?
To find the right size for either your left or right foot, you simply measure the circumference of the ankle and find your relevant size.
Size 1/ 27-31cm
Size 2/ 31-34cm
Size 3/ 34-40cm
Use the European Shoe sizes as a guide
Size 1 36-41
Size 2 39-44
Size 3 42-47
What is foot drop exactly?
Foot drop is a gait abnormality in which the dropping of the forefoot happens due to weakness, irritation or damage to the common fibular nerve including the sciatic nerve, or paralysis of the muscles in the anterior portion of the lower leg. It is usually a symptom of a greater problem, not a disease in itself.
Do drop foot braces really work?
We are glad you asked. The answer is yes. This is also the most frequently asked question of many sufferers of foot drop. Read a customer review of this product and feel free to contact us with any questions you have about this product.
How do I put the foot drop brace on?Watch this great little instructional video from the makers of the Push AFO.
Watch the brand video
For more information about this amazing brace.
Where can I find additional information about drop foot or ankle foot orthosis?
Here are some helpful links.
Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_drop
Medical Definition of an Ankle Foot Orthosis
Medicine Net - https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2262
Symptoms & Causes
Mayo Clinic - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/foot-drop/symptoms-causes/syc-20372628
Here's a video that provides some helpful exercises for foot drop
Note we are not directly affiliated with these sources and information on the links may change. They are for information only.
View product & add it to your cart today